What we have done:
Since 2010, HOPE for Senegal (HfS) has worked collaboratively to improve educational opportunities for students in Senegal. With a 29% literacy rate for girls, there is a particular focus on supporting girls continuing their education. Our primary partner is Lycee Malick Sy High School, a co-educational high school serving over 4,000 urban and rural students in the city of Thies.
Currently HOPE for Senegal has completed these goals:
- Provided over $5,000 in medical supplies to the school nurse, who serves as the primary access to healthcare for many of the students
- Built a water fountain for students, many of them walk great distances from villages to attend school.
- Provided 47 scholarships to girls. High school is not free in Senegal, and in a country where the average person makes only $1,001 per year, the $25 tuition may be the difference between getting an education or not.
- Equipped a science lab for the school, including microscopes, solar teaching kits, and technology
- Sent $2,500 in school supplies to an elementary school and $900 in school supplies to a high school in Dakar
- Built a teacher resource room for the school’s 140 teachers and equipping it with computers, printers, and a duplicating machine.
- 2013: Brought the award winning Kuyu Project in from Nairobi to give students a week long training in how to use social media to improve their community.
- 2013: Provided 25 scholarships to girls, which covers tuition as well as gives each recipient $25 for expenses.
- 2013: Provided additional medical supplies to the school nurse, who serves as the primary access to healthcare for many of the students.
- Supported a project to renovate a kindergarten in the Zigunchor Region of Senegal serving over 60 children ages 3-5.
Please watch of 2013 Summary Video here: HOPE for Senegal
After another successful year of fundraising, support and partnership with Lycee Malick Sy High School in the city of Thies we have new goals set for September 2014 to renovate the restrooms for the students at the school.
We would love to have you involved!
Your time, expertise, and money are needed!
For more information, contact Yasmin Turk, HFS Project Director.