What we have done:
HOPE for Senegal (HfS) was founded in October 2011, as a project of the HOPE Campaign, and helps with education, sustainability, and creativity projects in one of the 25 poorest nations in the world. HfS originally focused on helping Lycee Malick Sy High School in the Thies region of Senegal. Lycee Malick Sy High School has over 4,000 students, both urban and rural, and is one of the oldest high schools in the country. HfS has grown to include projects across Senegal which directly support individuals and communities.
HOPE for Senegal has completed these goals:
- Given scholarships to over 300 girls to attend high school – high school is not free in Senegal, and in a country where the average person makes only $1,001 per year, the $25 tuition may be the difference between getting an education or not. Scholarships cover tuition and give each recipient $25 for expenses.
- Provided solar panels for a solar well CSA project at a school community named Majadarat Khadija in the Saly area
- Provided the Djily Award for Character and Excellence to outstanding teachers and the students they nominated
- Helped 37 students with bikes to address transportation challenges to accessing their education
- Sponsored a young women’s empowerment series, followed by skill development workshops
- Sent 7 students to Nairobi to the iHub for intra-continental mentorship
- Provided a Blind culture training for teachers at the only public school in the Thies Region serving blind students
- Brought the award winning JamLab team from Nairobi to train 50 students over the course of 1 week in how to leverage social media for social good
- Supported tutoring program in Tivouanne, lead by high school students
- Partnered with the Peace Corps to establish and maintain 2 sustainable teaching gardens
- Collaborated with student-led organization Read with Taha to equip 2 school libraries with books
- Built a teacher resource room for the school’s 140+ teachers and equipped it with computers, printers, and a duplicating machine
- Provided technical assistance for 3 individuals from the Senegalese diaspora to start school based support programs in Senegalese communities they are connected to
- Provided computer skill development workshops in collaboration with Cheikh Anta Diop University IT staff
- Built a water fountain on the Lycee Malick Sy campus
- Renovated and equipped a high school science lab, including microscopes, solar teaching kits, and more
- Provided over $6,000 in medical supplies for use by the school nurse, who serves as the primary access to healthcare for many of the students
- Built a water fountain for students – many of them walk great distances from villages to attend school
- Sent $2,500 in school supplies to an elementary school and $900 in school supplies to a high school in Dakar
- Supported a project to renovate a kindergarten in the Zigunchor Region of Senegal serving over 60 children ages 3-5
Watch our 2013 Summary Video here: HOPE for Senegal
Still ahead in 2018, HfS will provide more scholarships for girls, bikes to help kids overcome transportation barriers to their education, and the Djily Award for a student demonstrating excellence in character and academics and the teacher who nominated her or him.
We would love to have you involved!
Your time, expertise, and money are needed!
For more information, contact Yasmin Turk, HFS Project Director.